Lupita Nyong’o: Taking over the world with her fashion
If you don’t know this rising star’s name by now, you’re about to see it around. A lot.
The 30-year-old actress’ spectacular performance in Steve McQueen’s 12 Years a Slave not only commanded rave reviews, but also landed her the award for Best Supporting Actress at the Screen Actors’ Guild Awards AND saw her walk away with the award for Best Supporting Actress at the Critics’ Choice Awards.
On top of all this, the newcomer has been nominated for an Oscar for her role as Patsey in the much-acclaimed historical drama.
The Kenyan beauty has also quickly garnered a reputation as a style icon after her so-far flawless red carpet debut this awards season.
Fashion critics named her best dressed at the 2014 Golden Globes for her daring red, caped Ralph Lauren dress. She then wowed in a turquoise Gucci number at the SAGs.
“There is absolutely something about Lupita,” says Melissa Hoyer, news.com.au style commentator.
“The award winning actress has eased herself through the red carpet awards season so far with grace, style and pure class. She is never OTT, loud or smug.”
So just who is this humble, new inspirational woman?
Here are five things you didn’t know about Lupita Nyong’o:
1) She graduated from the Yale School of Drama in 2012 with a master’s degree in acting
2) Fresh out of university, 12 Years a Slave was her very first acting job
3) The elegant actress stands at just 5 feet 5 inches tall
4) Her next film role is in Non-Stop, which also features Liam Neeson, Julianne Moore and Michelle Dockery
5) Her superior fashion choices have landed her a gig alongside Elle Fanning, Elizabeth Olsen, and Bella Heathcote as the face of Miu Miu’s spring ad campaign